Zucchini and Raisin Muffins
There is nothing like a homemade muffin to start your day. Both my husband and son get up and leave the house early so muffins are the perfect grab and go breakfast food for both of them. On the weekends I make a homemade breakfast but during the week I am not going to get up at the crack of dawn to make them them a homemade breakfast (I love them and all, but not that much)! These muffins are easy to make a head of time and freeze. They last in the freezer for 2-4 weeks. I just pop a couple out of the freezer the night before and they are ready to go in the morning. My son pairs his with organic greek yogurt and my hubby has his with his coffee. My favorite way to eat these yummy muffins is warmed up (or better yet, right out of the oven) with a smear of fresh local butter.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20-25 mins
Yeilds: 18 muffins
This muffin is made without the use of an electric mixer though you could surely use one. Use the mixer bowl as your first bowl (for wet ingredients)
You can substitute conventional ingredients if you wish for this recipe. You can also do all white flour or all whole wheat flour (you may need slightly more liquid if you do all whole wheat). If you are dairy free you can use oil instead of butter, coconut or Extra Virgin Olive Oil would be my choices. You can also use applesauce for half of the butter/oil. For an even healthier muffin you can add chia seeds and/or flax seeds.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini* (approx. 2 large) drained- all non organic zucchini is GMO so be sure to buy organic- For best results, drain your zucchini after you shred. Place it in a kitchen towel (flour sack towels work best) and squeeze out most of the moisture. I use the juice to either drink or add to water my plants.
- * you can substitute shredded carrots and/or apples for part or all of the 3cups
- 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar- you can substitue any sweeter, agave syrup, maple syrup or honey, but I like my sugar
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cup organic raisins (you can use dried cranberries and/or nuts of choice as well)
- 1.5 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 2 tsps spice of your choice. I used apple pie spice (2 parts cinnamon, 1 part nutmeg, 1 part allspice) Or you can do any combination of the three, a little bit of ginger is good too.
- 11 tsps melted and cooled organic unsalted butter (or oil) (or use half applesauce)
- I use my oven to melt the butter in a souflee cup while I’m waiting for oven to preheat
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch finely ground sea salt
Preheat oven to 350degrees. In large bowl combine eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add grated zucchini. Mix to incorporate and add melted butter and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Whisk all dry ingredients together to combine.
Add dry ingredients to wet and mix to incorporate. Add in raisins (cranberries and/or nuts). Mix well.
Either line muffin tins with muffin paper or grease with butter. Fill muffin tins to almost top.
Place in preheated oven for 20-25 mins. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted into center muffin, if toothpick comes out clean and dry muffins are done. Let muffins cool in tin for 5 mins, then remove from tin and cool another 15-20 mins.
Enjoy your muffins and remember to always live cre8tively!